Monday, March 25, 2019

Plan B

So, the original plan was to fly into Brisbane and pick up a Land Rover truck that he had purchased earlier and hit the road to see the east coast of Australia.  That truck didn't end up to be road worthy in Queensland so he started hunting for something else. He found this rig (I'll call it Truck 2") that had been used by a couple of young German travelers who were nearing the end of their visit.  It's outfitted with a rooftop tent, an awning, fridge and other things that I can't remember.  



Now he's nearly ready to hit the road and travel the coast.  He's got to make a stop to pick up the rest of his belongings near the Glass House Mountains.  I forgot to mention earlier that during one of our first phone calls (probably his first day in Brisbane) he saw a newer model Land Rover or Range Rover (I'm not sure what it was, shame on me) and told me he'd call me back because he was going to go talk to the driver.  I got a text a short time later that said, "The guy was a Land Rover off-road instructor. I have Sunday plans now. And maybe somewhere to stay." 

After the event on Sunday, February 24th, I got the following message, "I've had an amazing day. I'm out in the country a little bit. Got to help with the Land Rover Experience training today, it was great."  He then got to spend that night at the home/B&B of the instructor, Vince Balcombe.

His hosts were gracious enough to let him leave a bunch of his stuff at their place while he was waiting on the truck he had previously purchased.  It was during the following week that he learned that the first Land Rover he had purchased needed more work than he could manage in order to be registered in Queensland. All this resulted in him staying in Mooloolaba much longer than planned while most of his belongings were much closer to Brisbane.  

For some reason, the following photos didn't display location information and I can't remember what he said the name of the national park is. I believe it's in the Noosa area. 





As of our latest phone call he had stayed in his rooftop tent for two nights.  It went well.  It gets really warm inside once the sun comes up so he's not sleeping in much!  He's able to stay overnight at rest areas for travelers.  (Unlike in America, they are not rest areas for truckers.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment